Taste for Women: The Alaska Women Hunter, Robert Hansen

Everyone has been rejected by a woman every now and again. But Robert Hansen takes his rejection to a whole new level. Learn more about how many women he murdered.
Robert Hansen

Robert Christian Hansen was born on February 15, 1939. Robert Christian Hansen was known in the medias eyes as “Butcher Baker” or also known as an American Serial Killer.

Between the years of 1971 to about 1983, Hansen would be responsible for abducting, raping, and murdering a minimum of 18 American women around the city of Anchorage, Alaska. Hansen would hunt as many of them within the wilderness with his rugger mini-14 along with his hunting knife.

Hansen would finally be arrested and convicted of his crimes in 1983 and receive a minimum of 461 years in prison with no chance of ever getting parole.

Early life

Robert Hansen was born on February 15, 1939, in Estherville, Iowa. Hansen was the child of a Danish immigrant and he would soon follow in his dad’s footsteps as a baker as well.

During the childhood years, Hansen was painfully shy, skinny kid who suffered from a stutter and have severe acne that would leave his face permanently scarred. Hansen would be shunned by all the attractive girls he went to school with, and he grew up hating each one of them holding on to these fantasies of sweet, sweet revenge.

Throughout Hansen’s childhood and adolescent years, Hansen was known as the quiet and loner kid, who had a very difficult relationship with his very domineering father. Hansen would soon start to practice archery and hunting and often found solace within these activities.

Then in 1957, Hansen would join the United States Army Reserve and he would only be there in one year before he would be discharged.

Hansen would later than work as an assistant drill instructor with the police academy when he was living in Pocahontas, Iowa. Within this time, Hansen would form a relationship with a younger lady. He would later marry her during the summer months of 1960.

Then later that year in December of 1960, Hansen would get arrested for burning down the Pocahontas County Board of Education school bus garage, which he would be sentenced to a three-year prison sentence within in the Anamosa State Penitentiary. Hansen would only serve 20 months of that prison sentence.

During his time for his incarceration, Hansen would be diagnosed with bipolar disorder along with schizophrenic episodes. However, the psychiatrist who diagnosed him also noted that he also suffered from infantile personality who was always obsessed with getting revenge from people who may have wronged him.

However, Hansen’s wife would file for divorce while he was serving his time.

Over the next couple of years, Hansen would go back and forth to jail for many petty theft crimes.

Then in 1967, Hansen would move to Anchorage, Alaska with his second wife, whom he had married just a few years after his first wife in 1963. With his second wife, he had two children.

While he lived in Anchorage, Alaska, he was liked by all his neighbors and would go on to set many local hunting records.

Then in 1972, Hansen would then be convicted and charged with assault. Hansen would then be placed in a work-release program after he finished his six-month prison sentence.

Then again in 1976, Hansen would be pleading guilty to a larceny charge after he was caught red-handed with stealing a chainsaw from one of the department stores in Anchorage.

Hansen would then be sentenced to 5 years and would be court-ordered to receive psychiatric treatment as well.


Cindy Paulson would be lucky when she was able to escape from Hansen on June 13, 1983. Hansen was in the act of trying to load up Cindy into his Piper Super Cub when she got away from him.

Cindy would go on to tell the police that she was offered $200 to give Hansen a blowjob, but that when she would enter his vehicle, he would pull a gun on her and then drive her to his home in Muldoon.

There is when he would keep her captive while torturing her before he would rape her again and again. Cindy would mention being chained by her neck to a post in Hansen’s basement while Hansen took a nap.

When Hansen would wake up from his nap, he would try to put her in his car and take her down to the Merrill Field Airport, where he would tell her he was taking her to his cabin, which really only was a shack in the Knick River area.

However, Cindy would be crouched in the back of his car with her wrists cuffed in front of her and she decided it was time for her to escape while Hansen was occupied loading up the cockpit of the plan.

When Hansen turned his back towards her, Cindy would crawl out of the back seat of his car and start running towards the sixth avenue street.

Cindy would tell the police officers that she left her blue tennis shoes in the passenger side of Hansen’s car as proof that she was indeed in his vehicle.

When Hansen saw her run, he would panic and tried to chase her down, but when Cindy made it all the way to sixth avenue and capture the attention of a passing vehicle, Hansen would then back off.

The car that picked up Cindy would bring Cindy to Mush Inn, where she would run inside and ask to use the phone to call her boyfriend who was at the Big Timber Motel.

However, the person who would bring her to Mush Inn would be the one who would phone police of the woman he just picked up who list highly disheveled.

Finally, when the Anchorage Police arrived in the Mush Inn, they were told that the woman, Cindy took a cab down to the Big Timber Motel. Then the Anchorage Police would go down to the Big Timber Motel to room 110 where they would finally find Cindy Paulson, who was still in handcuffs.

Cindy would then be taken down to the police station where she would describe to them what Hansen looked like. The police officers would then ask her questions pertaining to Hansen.

When Hansen was finally questioned by the police station, he would deny any and all allegations and stated that Cindy was trying to stir up some trouble and he was not going to buy into it.

Even though, Hansen was already in trouble with the law a few times prior, his strong alibi from John Henning, a friend would keep him being the cases main suspect and the case would soon grow cold.

Detective Glen Flothe who worked for the Alaska State Troopers was a part of a team that was investigating many bodies that were being found around Seward, Matanuska-Susitna, and Anchorage. The first bodies would be located by construction workers close to the Eklutna Road. The first body would never be identified but would soon be name Eklutna Annie. Then later that very same year, Joanna Messina dead body would be discovered near Seward. Then in 1982, Sherry Morrow would be found near Knik River.

Flothe would soon have many bodies that appeared to have all shared one thing in common, the same murderer.

Frothe would then be in contact with the Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Roy Hazelwood. He would request Hazelwood’s help with coming up with a criminal psychological profile on the bodies that he already discovered.

Hazelwood would then think that the killer was to be an experienced hunter with a rather low self-esteem, but also with a history of women rejecting him and would feel the need to keep trophies from his murders.

Hazelwood would also say that the murderer may also have a slight stuttering as well. Now with this profile on hand Flothe could narrow down the pool of possible suspects, until he came across Hansen’s profile, who matched the profile Hazelwood created

With the support of Cindy’s testimony and armed with Hazelwood’s criminal profile, Flothe, and the police department would obtain a warrant to search Hansen’s home, vehicle, and plan.

Then on October 27, 1983, the investigators would start finding jewelry that belonged to many of the victims that he murdered as well as many firearms that were hidden in Hansen’s attic. Investigators would also uncover an aviation map that had an “x” on it, where it is to be believed where he buried more bodies. This map was in Hansen’s headboard.

When Hansen was confronted with all this evidence that the investigators found in his house, Hansen would deny any involvement with any of the women. He would try to blame each woman and justify why he did what he did.

However, it took a bit of time, but eventually, Hansen would start to confess to each of the items that the investigators took from his home as evidence.

Known victims

It is only known that Hansen was the person responsible for the rape and assault for more than 30 women in Alaska and have murdered a minimum of 17 women from 16 to 41 years of age.

Murdered & Found with Hansen’s Help

  • Lisa Futrell, 41
  • Malai Larsen, 28
  • Sue Luna, 23
  • Tami Pederson, 20
  • Angela Feddern, 24
  • Teresa Watson
  • “Horseshoe Harriet”

Sue Luna

We do not know the exact date of Sue Luna’s death. Robert Hansen took Sue Luna out to the Knik River in Alaska, stripped her, and made her run like an animal while he hunted her down, and eventually killing her. He shot her to death. Her death was in 1983.

Body’s Found

  • DeLynn “Sugar” Frey
  • Paula Goulding
  • Andrea “Fish” Altiery
  • Sherry Morrow, 23
  • “Eklutna Annie”
  • Joanna Messina
  • Ceilia “Beth” Van Zanten, 17

Body’s Not Found

  • Roxane Easland, 24
  • Megan Emerick, 17
  • Mary Thill, 22

Out of the 17 women that Hansen was responsible for murdering, Hansen would only be charged with the following murders:

  • Paula Goulding
  • Eklutna Annie
  • Joanna Messina
  • Sherry Morrow


Once Hansen was arrested, he would be formally charged with kidnapping, assault, many thefts, insurance fraud charges, along with multiple weapons offenses.

One of the charges had to do with Hansen wrongfully filing a claim with an insurance company over some trophies and he used that money to purchase him the Super Cub.

During the trial, Hansen would claim that he would find the trophies in the backyard but forget to tell the insurance company that minor detail.

When the ballistics testing was completed, it was found that there was an exact match between the bullets that were found at many of the crime scenes. When this information surfaced, Hansen decided to go with a plea deal.

Hansen would plead guilty to all of the four homicides that police had an overwhelming evidence for and he would provide the details about the other victims he murdered in return he would serve out the rest of his sentence in a federal prison with no information given to the media outlets. However, that was not all, there was yet another final condition to his plea deal. The last part of his plea deal had him agree to deciphering his aviation map to help investigators locate the rest of the victim’s corpses.

Hansen would give the investigators the gravesites of 17 people he murdered around the Southcentral Alaska area. The investigators did not know about 12 of them. However, there are a few marks on his map that he will not talk about.

Hansen would be found guilty and he would receive a sentence of 461 years in prison without ever getting a chance to get parole. His first federal prison he went to be the Lewisburg United States Penitentiary in Pennsylvania.

Then in 1988, he would be brought back to Alaska where he would stay in the Lemon Creek Correctional Center. Then Hanson was serving the last remaining time in the Spring Creek Correctional Center in Seward, Alaska until his death where he was brought to the Anchorage Correctional Complex.


Hansen would pass away on August 21, 2014. He was 75 years old when he passed away. He would die in the Alaska Hospital located in Anchorage; Alaska due to health issues.